Tuesday, October 16, 2018

New Old Rules

So there are somethings I know I need to do, that I was doing at various times with varying success. Gotta try to get back to them.

New Old Rules:


  • Reading in bed, not watching TV (Netflix)
    • or if I do watch TV, I have to read before I turn out the lights to sleep
    • I got away from this one because during the spring and summer when my living situation was in flux, my Chromebook / Netflix was my only access to TV, so I watched it in bed every night. 
  • No eating more than a snack within 90 min of bedtime
  • Do my bedtime meditations
    • I used to do this (excuse the pun) religiously, every night for literally decades and for some reason I've stopped. I need to start up again tonight. I know now even more why it works so well for me, and screw the people who say you shouldn't meditate to fall asleep, it works for me super well. 
  • Drink a cup of herbal tea in the evening
    • There really is something psychically soothing about a cup of tea, I particularly like peppermint
  • Don't go to bed early
    • I know that seems counter-intelligent, but I find a lot of times I go to bed super early and all that happens is I fall asleep early, wake up a couple hours later as though I had a nap and then toss and turn the rest of the night
    • No more than 9-10 hours in bed
  • Don't stress over problems in the evening, it can wait til morning
    • Sounds weird I know, but it is more about having internal control than anything else. I might have stresses to deal with, but I get to say when.
  • Start going for a walk
    • Another thing I used to do religiously every day, even if it was just walk down the road and back. Gotta do it.
    • At the very least, so something active every day, preferably outdoors
  • Drink more water
  • Take breaks at work, like actual short breaks where I get up from my desk and walk away for 5 minutes, other than going to the bathroom
That's enough rules for one day. None of them are new. I know how it feels to do all of them right all of the time. I don't know when I lost the sense of these things, but I want them back.

No comments:

Post a Comment